Based in London UK. My blog consists mainly of knitting, cooking, travelling and craft stuff.....

Monday 23 July 2007

Knitted Tank Top Vest

I have to admit, my first attempt at a jumper was pretty rubbish. The sleeves and the body didn't look like they belong on the same garment.
I thought I'd give this tank top vest from the Stitch n Bitch book a go, as it looked nice and easy and was suitable for this summer we've been having in England.

When making a garment such as this, the back and the front must be identical, so that when sewn together, they fit propperly. Otherwise you end up with a lop-sided seam that gets all twisted up. The neck areas obviously differ; often the front neckline will be slightly lover than the back.


This vest top is knitted in a rib-stitch, (k2, p1), which gives a really nice effect, as you can see here. I did notice, however, that my merino yarn started to turn my bamboo needles green...
I actually finished knitting this before I went on holiday but have only just got round to taking pictures. It's any easy top to knit and doesn't take too long either.



The straps are attached to one another using a three needle bind-off, which I had never tried before. Instructions are in the Stitch & Bitch Nation book on how to do this. The three needle bind-off is supposed to give you a invisible seam. I can see why this is so, but my first attemot was a little bit lumpy.

The sides are sewn together using a 'blanket stitch' (I think). As you can see, my sewing skills are not too great, but they're getting better, slowly. One day my seams will look seamless...



Anyway the final product is knitted without any mistakes, which I am very pleased about. The only thing is, it's a bit small for me. It's short around my belly, which isn't too bad, but it's the neckline where it is noticeable. I really like this design though, as it is quite a flattering top. I haven't decided whether to unravel it all and make the bigger size, or whether to give it to someone smaller than me....

No comments: