Based in London UK. My blog consists mainly of knitting, cooking, travelling and craft stuff.....

Friday 24 August 2007

Singing Karaoke in Japan




Japan is the home of karaoke, and a popular pastime it is. I couldn't go to Japan and not try it out. It is quite a different affair though in Japan than it is in England. In England, karaoke is an activity for the pub or for your playstation at home. You will often find drunken slurring, out of tune singing and shouting at a karaoke night in England. Of course, you do get those talented singers showing off their skills and some serious competitions, but in Japan karaoke is generally a far more civilised affair.


The older generation tend to do their singing in 'karaoke bars' which are similar to an English pub; there is a stage or an area for the singer to stand and sing to their audience. The younger generation, however, tend to go to the karaoke rooms or 'booths' where your singing is private and only yourself and your friends can hear.


When I told my friends parents that I liked doing karaoke in England, they whisked me off to the local karaoke bar and found myself in a place where 'no young person had ever been before'! This made me feel all the more nervous about singing in front an audience that took karaoke quite seriously. I should add at this point that I am not a very good singer. However, I was singing to a (small) audience that didn't speak English, so it couldn't be that bad.



Karaoke in Japan is about singing, not about performing. Singers stand still, they sing seriously and try and get it right. There's no dancing or banter with the audience. The audience clap during the instrumentals - gosh, it is so civilised in comparison to the nights I have had in London! It hadn't occurred to me that karaoke is actually quite a good way of relieving stress, until I read the sentence in a Japanese language book. OK, you might think that it's nerve-racking and stressful thinking about the prospect of singing to an audience of strangers. But if you've done karaoke before, you'll know that once you've done one song - you're hooked! The Japanese are great at finding ways to relieve stress. They work long hours and so forms of stress relief are well received.


If you are more keen on singing to a smaller and more familiar audience (or even just yourself!), then there are plenty of karaoke rooms available to use. This is the kind of karaoke popular amongst the younger generation. Of course, it is the more expensive option, but not as expensive as London. In Leciester Square you can end up paying £90 an hour for a room. Generally you will pay per person in Japan. And contrary to popular belief, everything is cheaper in Japan than it is in London.




No comments: